As any allergy intolerant person would know, commercially made chips usually come with the disclaimer that 'our fryers are used to cook everything else you can't have'. So, why not home make delicious vege chips, plus, they are only shallow fried, not deep fried.
And, you're going to want to bookmark our dairy free cheese sauce for later because it is the perfect base for carbonara, cheese sauce for lasagne and more!
Vege chips (serves 2)
- 1 zucchini
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 firm-ish avocado
- 2 eggs (can be substituted for vegan eggs)
- 1 cup Deeks breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive or coconut oil
- Any dried herbs you want to add to flavour your crumbs
- Cut your vegetables (and fruit) into chip-like sticks.
- Steam your sweet potato ahead of time.
- Beat eggs to create an eggwash.
- Dip your vege chips in eggwash and then in Deeks breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and any dried herbs to your taste.
- Grill until golden, and serve!
Dairy-free cheese sauce (serves 2)
- 1 tablespoon Deeks bread mix (to replace flour)
- 1 tablespoon Nuttelex
- 2 cups dairy free cheese
- 2 cups dairy free milk
- Salt to taste
- Create a roux (add bread mix and Nuttelex to a medium heat pan and beat quickly until a paste is formed).
- Slowly add milk, beating consistently, until sauce starts to thicken.
- If the sauce gets too thick, turn the heat down and add more milk slowly.
- Once a smooth sauce has been created, add your cheese and salt.
- Serve with your delicious vege chips!